Skin problems are quite embarrassing and dreadful; everyone fears them as they are noticeable to others easily. Acne is one of the most common skin problem feared by teens but it is the simplest one and can be treated very easily. Skin covers every part of our body and it is the largest organ of humans. Skin problems have physical or psychological effects on our body. Five most common disorders of skin are acne, eczema, skin cancer, seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis. There are several other skin problems but these five are most common skin problems in human beings.
Five Most Common Skin Problems:
Let us discuss each individually:
This problems starts during puberty in the form of pimples on the mostly facial skin. The reason is that the passage between pores of skin and oil glands gets congested causing acne. Acne is found in many forms on neck, shoulders, chest, back and mostly face. Common forms of acne are blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, nodules or cystic acne of which nodules and cysts are quite severe as they appear deep and result in scars. Almost all the individuals experience acne at some time in their life. Changes in hormones during puberty or other times or hereditary factors result in acne. During teenage, growth hormone gets released at high rate resulting in severe acne during these years.
While intermittent acne requires no treatment, topical creams which are water based can be applied. If the problems persist, then standard treatments can be done; however, in cases of severe acne, one must visit a dermatologist for complete solution to limit growth of bacteria and shed skin cells.
Eczema is a problem in which skin gets itchy, dry, red and patchy with cracks and can be cured only with proper medical treatments. While some treatments can be done at home, others require suitable medicaltherapy. There are three types of eczemas found in babies and adults which are:
- Atopic dermatitis: it is found mostly in children and some adults. This is a long term genetic disease, in which itchy rashes appear behind elbows and knees.
- Allergic contact dermatitis: this type of eczema crops up in adults and is caused due to cosmetics, fragrances or metal jewelry.
- Nummular dermatitis: this is very itchy eczema in which red and flaky patches appear on the skin due to dryness.
Topical creams, lotions, or ointments recommended by dermatologists can help ease down the problem; however, you cannot completely get rid of it. Keep your skin moisturized regularly and avoid keeping it dry buy building a skin barrier.
This causes oily and waxy patches on the skin scalp and is quite different from other type of skin problems. Babies are mostly affected by this flaky and dandruff type problem during the initial six months. Once the problem goes away it never appears again till teenage.
Cradle crap can be treated by washing the hair and scalp with a mild shampoo as it will unstiffen and slacken the flakes formed on scalp. You can massage thje scalp with baby oil or olive oil at night and remove the loose flakes with soft brush in the morning. Follow with a shampoo.
Skin cancer affects several people worldwide every year and it is crucial to know its type so that appropriate treatment can be given. Its types are:
- Basal and squamous cell skin cancer-caused due to sun exposure on head, neck, arms and back but this is treatable through proper medications and treatments.
- Melanoma Skin Cancer-this type of skin cancer is very risky and spreads easily. Reddish or brown inflammation on skin must be checked properly for cancers and should be treated timely to get rid of it.
- Lymphoma cell cancer: it is a type of skin cancer which starts in immune cells of the body. Caused mainly due to ultraviolet rays, this is treated in specialized cancer units.
It is a chronic skin problem arising mainly due to genetic conditions. Excess of skin tissue gets built up and appears red, thick and scaly in silver. Showing up on elbows and knees initially, they can spread on other parts of the body.
Although there are several other skin conditions which affect the people, these are the most prevailing ones and in case of any type of skin ailment, visit the dermatologist right away.